Infrastructure: Kenya has the chance to develop a great infrastructure for the investors. The country is attempted a number of projects that help to develop their infrastructure to present developed opportunities for the investors.
The plans the government adopt to develop their infrastructure are as follows:
- Redevelopment of the Northern Corridor
- Development of a commuter railways system around Nairobi
- Building of a standard gauge line to replace the current Kenya-Uganda railway
- Design and Construction of a new terminal at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
- Development of a new corridor from Lamu to South Sudan and Ethiopia (LAPSET)
Building & Construction: The building & construction industry is developing on a continuous mode in Kenya. There is a large number of quality engineering, building and architectural designs are available. The industry is now on an upward trend. As the population of the country is growing in number, the demand of the housings, residents are also increasing. Now it is a great chance for investors to invest their money in Kenya as there is a huge chance of profit.
Information & Communications Technology: Many well established company in the ICT market have showed their interest to expand their business in this country. Kenya has a large opportunities for highly educated and innovative talents.
Reasons to invest in this sector:
- Stable pro-investment government– We have a Stable pro-investment government who assured the stability and guaranteed investors and citizens the rights that promote economic and social growth by the constitutional law.
- We have instituted business friendly regulatory reforms – We are repealing and continue to repeal laws and regulations that impede investment.
Environment & Natural Resources: Kenya is full of environmental and natural resources. There are many scopes to invest money for investors. Some of the sources are:
Mining: Kenya is gifted with an unnumbered range of minerals which is yet to be exploited. Investors have a great opportunities to endow money through direct and joint ventures.
Carbon offset schemes: This is another sector that gives ample opportunities for the investors.
Manufacturing: This agro based sector has also enough opportunities for investors. To satisfy the rising demand of manufactured goods, the markets are in need of global ventures. This demand opens the door of investment of the investors.
Money, Banking & Finance: In the banking sector of Kenya, more than 40 banks are being dominated by five major banks. The remaining banks are very small and have very small outreach. For this reason, there is high cost of credit. There is a large number of population is yet unbanked in the country. So it is a profitable sector to invest in.
Agriculture: Agriculture is a major source of livelihood. The sector includes crop production (industrial & food crops), horticulture, livestock, fisheries and forestry. There are ample chances for foreign investors to invest in joint venture in this sector. The advantages an investor would get include:
- Availability of a well-established export market for agricultural products
- Availability of multinationals in the sector
- Availability of affordable labor and agricultural land
- Bilateral agreements that favor local production.
Energy: This is another field of interest for the investors. The reasons to invest here are:
- Generation of energy using renewable sources such as wind, geothermal and solar sources – Feed in Tariff (FIT) is a policy strategy which aims to increase investment in renewable energy technologies. The country plans to increase electricity installed capacity by 5,538 MW by 2017
- Development of diesel plants and hydropower
- Drilling and Steam Field Development of Wells for geothermal
- Construction of Pipeline and Storage Facilities for petroleum products
- Exploration of petroleum deposits in other potential regions of the country
Tourism: Investors find this helpful yet not exploited sector to invest in to be profitable. It is one of the leading foreign exchange earner of Kenya. It is fast growing sector. Investors can take advantage of Kenya is gifted with unique and vast combination of tourist attractions such as beautiful coastal beaches, coral reefs, caves and river deltas, abundant wildlife, national parks and game reserves. It has good climate, beautiful geographical landscapes, savannah grasslands, forests, salt and fresh water lakes. It also includes hot springs, mountains, botany and zoology, world heritage sites, and rich cultural history. Investors will find it highly profitable to venture with the country.
Potentiality of business in Kenya:
Telecommunication: The country is facing an ongoing liberalization and privatization. This progress opens up enormous opportunities to invest in private sectors especially in the information technology and telecommunication sectors. This sector includes the distribution of cellular phones and internet services. The country is very much potential in this sector.
Energy Sector: At recent times, Kenyan oil market is spread through all major countries. Many major oil markets are being facilitated by the production of this country. It is a very profitable sector for the investors to invest their money. Investors can invest money individually or they can work in joint venture. Both will be profitable.
Financial Services: Kenya experienced a huge development in the industrial and commercial sectors. The country is now in need of establishing a commercial bank. This is an excellent chance for the investors to expend their money in this sector as there is a huge requirement of money.
Textile Sector: Kenya has a huge scope in textile industry. There is chance and potentiality of investment in synthetic fibers and dyes. Investors can spend money up on the sectors of making garments for European and American markets. There are also chances in cotton growing, ginning, spinning and weaving.
Fisheries: Kenya has a huge water resource from Indian Ocean and Victoria Lake. This opens up the chance of vast fishery potential for the country. At recent times, deep sea fishing, prawn and trout farming are growing rapidly. The sectors need more investments for more supports. It is a great chance for business dealers to spend money in this sector.